After a long talk with Teresa, we have came to the conclusion that she has no faith in my ability to go thru school. Yup, none what-so-ever. It’s ok, I know where she is coming from, as I have stated before I don’t have 100% confidence I can do this, but dammit, I have to try. I have to try for several reasons.
- It gives me something to do besides sit on my butt playing computer games and reading Facebook posts all day.
- I need a purpose for living. Yes, I love Teresa and my family and friends, but some days a person needs to think, “I live to do this or because of that.” Not just for someone else.
- If I succeed, I will be able to become a productive member of society again. Something I can’t claim and haven’t been able to claim for many years.
- I will be able to actually contribute to our household. Yeah, I get my disability check, but that isn’t much and being on disability sucks.
- And finally, if I succeed, I will get a job and actually leave the house with purpose.
And I have decided I am going to major in Interdisciplinary Education (K-8). Which is basically elementary and middle school general type studies. Yup, I am going to try to become a teacher.
As I said before, being a teacher was dream #2. Since dream #1 is impossible now. Dream #2 is best choice. I want to pay homage to all the great teachers I had growing up… Mrs. Anderson, Mrs. Bedell, Mr. Still, and those teachers I can’t quite remember the name of. I was lucky. I want to show Mr. Halashack that an asthmatic kid who couldn’t graduate normally from high school can eventually make a comeback and become a teacher.
I know that some of you who know me don’t think I can hack it as a teacher. Well, you may very well be right, but there is only one way to find out and that is to try.
By the way, the starting salary for a teacher in Des Moines in $32,685.00. Which is chump change. Good thing Teresa has a good job.
My sister-in-law said that I should only do this if I felt it was a calling. Yeah, its calling and dammit, I am gonna answer the call.
Heh, I will be 52 when I graduate, giving me roughly 10 or so years to work before retiring. Then again, that would be the same with any job I got now. Yeah, I could do the computer degree in 3 years probably and the teaching one is probably going to take 5. That is fine, a couple years makes no real difference.
In the words of the Animals… “It’s my life and I’ll do what I want” Yes, this is what I want.