Well, I was wrong about the test that Mayo was going to send my brother. Instead of mouth swabs (which are brain dead easy, do it yourself) they want 8 (count them) 8 vials of blood. Then they want those vials of blood sent back in dry ice. Yeah, sure, the average person knows where to get dry ice, don’t they? Well, turns out there is a place not to far from my brother’s house that sells dry ice. So he has to get the dry ice then go some place that will take blood for him. Get the blood in the tubes, get the tubes in the dry ice, and then get it all in a box and ship it to Mayo. Oy, it probably would have been quicker (and easier) for him to drive up to Mayo and give them the blood directly. Oh well, I think it’s getting done today. So we should know if he is a match Monday or Tuesday.
Also I was wrong, the number I posted for the bone marrow donors program was for related people only. https://bethematch.org/ is the national registry site. I would encourage any of you younger folks who are interested in being a donor, contact the people at that site and they will get you hooked up.
I felt like crap the last 2 days, all the symptoms of the flu except a fever. I haven’t ran a fever. Which I have to say is a good thing. Fevers over 101 = hospitalization, even now being that I am 2+ years out from leukemia. I don’t want to go to the hospital until I go for transplant time.
If I didn’t know that Dr. Alhkateeb wanted to do the transplant in a month or so, I wouldn’t know there was going to be a transplant. Haven’t heard or read a single peep from the team since Dr. A sent me the message that I needed to take Vitamin B6. That was a week and a half ago.
My mood is good. I’m very positive about this whole situation. Yeah, I have cancer, but it’s blood cancer so until I get sick sick, I won’t even notice I got it really. My platelets are back up where they want to be (between 65-90, still lower than normal, but not scary anymore). Besides feeling fluish, I am doing good. Just waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting.
Part of me though, is a little nervous now. There is a small chance that my body will reject the new stem cells. And if this happens, I die. Simple as that. A little sobering too. The rest of the possibilities of mishap are nothing compared to that. I mean Chronic Graph Vs Host Disease would suck, but death would suck a lot more. I know the odds are way small of death, but it is a real possibility.
Resumed slowly getting ready for the 110+ days we will be in Rochester. My mind still hasn’t gotten totally around it. Just seems like so long. 14+ weeks. Still sounds really long. And that 100 days after the transplant are not written in stone, if I am not doing good it will be longer. Inversely if I am doing real good, it could be shorter. But 10 days for transplant is solid. And 100 days is average. But at the rate we are going, its may end up 5 days for testing 10 days for transplant and 100 days for recovery, all mushed together.
I resumed playing Skyrim last night. My guy is now level 21, has the CHAOS enchant, and a pet dog. Kicking butt, not bothering to take names. He is just about to find out the Kodlak is dead, and be forced to go kill all the rest of the Silver Hand and recover the pieces of Wulfrad. Yeah, this means nothing to most of you, but for you that do know what I am talking about, it normally happens around level 9 or 10, I am doing it at level 21. It’s all good, doesn’t matter what order you do things in, just get it done.
I have no clue when we are going to take Pucky and Mojo to my mom’s house. I really feel that once things start we aren’t gonna be able to get away to drop them off. We literally might be at Mayo on Friday, drive home Friday evening, drive to my mom’s with the dogs on Saturday, drive back to Mayo Sunday night for Monday things. UGH, I don’t want to have to do that. But that might just happen.
The dogs are going to miserable wherever they end up. At it looks like they are eventually going to end up with my mother-in-law. Mojo will howl and Pucky is gonna whine a bit. Poor guys. They don’t know what’s going on, they won’t understand.
I’m gonna call and cancel my shrink appointment for tomorrow. I have plenty of meds and I just don’t feel like driving in the snow storm.
Oh yeah, we are supposed to have a snow storm tonight thru tomorrow afternoon. I am so ready for winter to move on. Would be nice to have 50+ degree weather and rain instead of the 14 degree weather and snowstorm. But its not quite spring yet, so we live with what we get.