Mayo, Pokémon, Teresa and Me

We got home from Mayo about an hour ago.  Tired, very very tired.  4 days of run here, run there, wait, run some more.  Every test that was promised happened except no Spinal Tap (darn) but definitely bone marrow biopsy #9 (with #10 scheduled already).  I managed to fail and unfailable test, I failed the renal exam cuz I could not pee on command and they were afraid to do the catheter thing cuz my platelets were so low.  So, we are heading back next Thursday for tests starting at 6:10am on Friday.  At least this time it is just 1 night and 1 day.  I am pretty sure after this week, next Friday will be a chump when it comes to the running we have to do.

Dr Alkhateeb made some points about my fatigue issues.  Like I shouldn’t really be having them.  So we are cutting Ambien completely, regardless of if I can sleep or not.  I am gonna be restarting my CPAP now that I google what I had wrong last time.  He also put me on a multi-vitamin do to my stomach surgery 24 years ago.  Also along with all this, I have to get up and move around more during the day.  Meaning a lot less napping for me.  The changes are not going to be easy, but heh, I can do it.  He said that he will not do the transplant if I am sleeping 12 hours a day, motivation enough.

Teresa has agreed to start doing stuff with me in the evenings (get your minds out of the gutter, or maybe it was just my mind).  We are gonna start walking or something like that, take the dogs out for evening strolls.  Something more than me walking back and forth in my house.

Weird thing, with the exception of the 9 day before transplant and the day of transplant, Mayo does its thing out patient.  Yup day 1 after transplant you are sent to stay in the transplant house.  You get up in the morning get blood drawn, then if you need blood products (hemoglobin or platelets) you go to the hospital and get it.  Otherwise you just go about your day at the transplant house.

Speaking of the transplant house.  It was everything we expected it to be.  No TV in the rooms was a little weird.  And eating only in the dining rooms was a little odd too.  But the place was meticulously clean and everyone seemed friendly.  So, even if it didn’t have a 30 dollar a night price tag, we would probably stay there.

My book was coming along well, til I determined that my fight scenes needed help, so another book was bought to read about writing fight scenes.  So, after I finish reading this new book, I will go tweak the fight scenes.  I tell ya, I am liking what I have written so far and I am by far my own worst critic.

You can tell the dogs missed us as much as we missed them.  Leaving them for however long is going to be hard.  Oh, I say however long because Teresa met some caretakers at the transplant house who were talking about being there for 100s of days one lady almost a year.  Gods I hope I don’t have to stay in Rochester for anywhere near that long.

I really should play some of my new games.  But I just haven’t felt like it.  I guess I just haven’t really been in a gaming mood.  That’ll hopefully be changing soon.

Oh yeah, DUH, the date of the transplant.  Still don’t have that as insurance now has 15 business days to approve it.  So we don’t start holding our breath yet.  The day is coming sooner as opposed to later.

We met more members of the TRANSPLANT TEAM while we were at Mayo.  Good thing we did, cuz now it makes a lot more sense.  We got a lot of questions answered and I feel pretty comfortable with the whole thing.

Dr Alkhateeb is very concerned with my bipolar.  On Friday along with some tests, I am meeting a Cancer Shrink.  Well, a psychiatrist who deals exclusively with people dealing with cancer.   I have no clue if she will know how to handle me, but we shall see.  They have also promised me talk therapy while I am being treated.  So, that is all set.

It figures that today, the day we left Rochester, was the first day where it was truly nice outside.  It was 50something, all the snow had melted.  It was a truly beautiful day.  The sun came out for the first time in our 4 day stay.  It’d been nicer if it had come out yesterday.

Oh yeah, we played Pokémon Go while we were in and around Mayo.  It was fun playing the game with Teresa.  We did some raiding, we gym battling, and a whole lot of catching.  Actually looking forward to going back just for the Pokémon, because now I am in the Pokémon rat hole of a town Adel.  Don’t get me wrong, I love our little town for a lot of reasons, but not because of it’s Pokémon craze.

Anyhow, I think I covered everything I wanted to cover tonight.  Thank you to my faithful readers, my fair-weathered readers, my new readers, my old readers, and anyone else who reads my ramble.  A little music to send you on your way…

Author: Jeff Campbell

I am 50 year old guy, who beat blood cancer but is getting his butt kicked by bone marrow cancer. At this point it appears I am dying. Married and in love with the most wonderful woman in the world (27 years). She has stood by me thru a lot of crap and I love her so.

One thought on “Mayo, Pokémon, Teresa and Me”

  1. I’m glad you are home, for however long. I hope the insurance approves the transplant sooner rather than later. And please do get moving, so that you will actually get the transplant! Walking the dogs with Teresa in the evenings sounds grand. 🙂 Take care. I’m praying for you. ❤


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s