Day +90, 2 days to go (hopefully)

Yup, you read that right.  It’s been 90 days since my 2nd birth, the day I got my transplant.  So we have actually been here 101 days, counting all my time in the hospital getting chemo.   Dr Alkhateeb said if all the tests came back good from today, we will be free to go after seeing him.  Which means we will leave on Saturday.  Because our appointment is too late on Friday afternoon to check out of here.  Check out time here is by 2pm and we don’t see the doctor until 4pm.

The first 2 appointments today were x-rays.   A fancy smancy bone density x-ray and then a straight up normal set of chest x-rays.  Nothing really to say about either of them, they were both running early and I was back at the Transplant House in about an hour and fifteen minutes.

Back at the hospital, a couple hours later.  The 3rd appointment was yet another Pulmonary Function Test.  This one I did much better on than the last one a few weeks ago.   Not coughing and being able to breathe is a good thing.  That test started early too.  I swear she added more tests or more likely the nice lady who did it last time edited out some tests.   But anyhow, I went thru it with not so much as a single cough.   The nice lady this time told me I did exceptionally well.

Then I wandered down a few floors on the elevator and checked in for my bone marrow biopsy.   Teresa joined me while I was waiting.  They too were running just a smidge early (by smidge, they were 5 minutes early by my figuring).  They took us back to the prep room and the nurse who brought us back was replaced by another nurse who had laryngitis, she said it was the tail end up it, but I explained I didn’t want to risk catching anything, so she went off to find a mask.  That is when the 3rd nurse came in,  proclaimed it was her room and she would be taking care of everything.   And in doing so, she proceeded to take care of everything.   While she was hooking up the saline drip to my Hickman Catheter a man came in and asked me how many of these I have had (the answer is 11).  He then, instead of explaining what was going on, asked if we had any questions or concerns, which we didn’t.  I explained to him that this bone marrow biopsy was one of the keys to me getting to go home this weekend, this will be the best biopsy I have ever had.   We all laughed.  After about a half hour of waiting they came and rolled me back to the procedure room.  Where, they had me undo my fly and roll on my side and scoot way over towards the edge of the thing I was on (It is a chair that unfolds into a bed and goes up and down as needed).  He then positioned me just so and proceeded to start marking locations on my hip.  About 10 seconds later I was asleep.  I woke from deep sleep to him still digging in my hip bone, but it didn’t hurt so I didn’t say anything.  He finished shortly thereafter and I opened my eyes to the anesthesiologist staring at me.  Kinda freaky being stared at while you are asleep, but I guess that is her job.   He pulled up my pants and rolled me back to the prep room.  Where I ate animal crackers and drank apple juice.   Then after about 20 minutes or so, I got unhooked and we left.

We made 2 stops before we left the hospital.  The pharmacy where Teresa had 10 prescription refills waiting.  Yes, they were all mine.  Then we made the long haul to the popcorn store in the basement, where Teresa bought me 2 containers of cotton candy…. original and peach.   Original is what I got last time, and it is just what it claims to be, cotton candy.   The Peach stuff has a weird taste to it, but a peachy after-taste.   It’s odd, but I don’t think it’s bad, Teresa hated it.  Oh well, didn’t buy it for her now did we?

My backside hurts.  I refuse to take any painkillers for it.  I use icepacks to deal with the pain.   It’ll ache for a few days.  They always do.

OK, here’s the deal.  I will just die on the spot if any of these tests come back anything but good.  I want out of here so bad I can feel it.  I am not sure if the biopsy will even be done being evaluated by Friday afternoon, usually it take 3 full days.  But anyhow, I am fairly certain that nothing bad is going to reported on any of these tests.  A little concern about the bone density, chemo+high done prednisone, sometimes the bones can’t take it like they used to.   It probably wouldn’t make me stay here longer, just probably add calcium or some such to the mix.  —  There damn well better not be any blasts showing on my bone marrow biopsy.  — x-ray was clear.  —- and I rocked the Pulmonary test.  So it should be a no brainer.

Here’s to holding out hope that Friday’s blood test comes out goodly.  That is the last key to us getting out of here.  Even if they aren’t perfect that shouldn’t hold things up.  Everything can be fixed pill wise remotely.  So I am actually not that concerned about the blood test after all.

I can’t wait to get home.

Author: Jeff Campbell

I am 50 year old guy, who beat blood cancer but is getting his butt kicked by bone marrow cancer. At this point it appears I am dying. Married and in love with the most wonderful woman in the world (27 years). She has stood by me thru a lot of crap and I love her so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s