Day +98, the day I got out of Mercy

Yeah, on the way home from Mayo I started not feeling so well.   I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t drink.  I just felt like crap.   But we made it home.  I tried doing some stuff, but I was too tired and weak so I laid down to take a nap.  Jim and Mom arrived with the doggies.  I woke up enough to greet them and play a little bit with Pucky, Mojo wouldn’t come near me.  Then I went back to bed.  Teresa came in and did a hand check of my head and asked if I had a fever.  I responded “I don’t know,” so she went to get our thermometer box.   First she used the forehead swipe one and it said 102.3, I didn’t believe it, so we tried the digital one, it said 100.7.  Either temp is high enough to warrant a call to Station 94 at Mayo.

Teresa called them and after a brief discussion they said take my butt to the emergency room.  Well, that is what we did.  Mercy Hospital is 40+ minutes away.  Plenty of time to be feeling miserable.  We got there, they immediately took me into triage after we gave them a brief history of my current health situation.  From Triage, we immediately went to a room.  The thought was I was going to get to go home that night.

Well, I didn’t.  It began to get late and then the doctor came in and said “We need to keep you overnight, at least until the cultures are ready.”  I reluctantly agreed.   It was just one night.  One night turned into two nights or rather 3 days.   I got out today, tired as all get out.  But I got out, that is the important thing.  Unfortunately I didn’t get to spend much time with my family as I couldn’t keep my eyes open.   I went and took a nap, waking just as they were getting ready to depart.  I gave hugs.  Told them they were welcome to come visit anytime.

Did learn at least one thing, my tooth isn’t abscessed, it just has a slight infection around it making it hurt.  So, I stay on my anti-biotics and the infection should go away.  No tooth needs to be pulled.  Which may mean no trip to Mayo next week.  One can always hope, right?

Let me tell you though getting out of one hospital’s control and into another’s on the same day SUCKS.  But at least I got put in the cancer wing.   I saw some familiar faces.  Friendly nurses for the win.

But now, it is Great to be HOME.  My nap was great, even though I didn’t use my CPAP.  Pucky slept in my arms, and Mojo slept across my legs.  Teresa just went and got us Applebee’s (one of my favorites).  Now we are watching Avengers Infinity Wars.  With a plan of watching something else (I forget) after it.

Mom took our 9.5lb chihuahua Pucky and got him up to 12.3 lbs.  And our 7.5lb Mojo to 8.2 lbs.   Funny thing is she and Jim both thought Pucky had lost weight.  Seriously, Pucky just looks huge now.   Mojo just looks fat.  So, serious diet in the immediate future.

Author: Jeff Campbell

I am 50 year old guy, who beat blood cancer but is getting his butt kicked by bone marrow cancer. At this point it appears I am dying. Married and in love with the most wonderful woman in the world (27 years). She has stood by me thru a lot of crap and I love her so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s