The drive and the day at Mayo

As I start to write this blog post tonight, I don’t think I have a whole lot to say, so it  might be a vert short post.

The trip from my mom and brother’s house should have taken us a little over 6 hours, but instead it took us over 8.  We hit construction and traffic the whole way.  I understand the need for road improvements, but so much of the coned off stuff nothing is happening in.  And where did all the traffic come from on a Sunday morning/afternoon/evening/and night.  Dang, we had traffic even when we were driving on the little highway that comes into Rochester itself.  Well, anyhow, we made it.

We stopped a cute little diner in Minnesota, the Pine Cone Diner.  We both had the turkey dinner, which was ok, but the dinner roll was fantastic.  Teresa say she would have been happy with 10 dinner rolls and a bowl of their turkey gravy.  It was a nice place to stop and stretch and get your feed on, on the way up here taking that route.

Today was standard Mayo day except they put a 2 hour gap in the middle of appointments.  We caught the bus around noon, should’ve been close to on time, but we weren’t the bus made stops everywhere else, including back where we loaded before heading to Mayo.  So we were 27 minutes late for my blood draws.  Good thing those don’t take long.   Then we met with Gabe the pharmacist.  Why we meet with pharmacists EVERY FRICKING TIME we come up here, I have no clue.  But Gabe’s a nice guy, and everything went like it was supposed to.  Then we caught the bus back to the Gift of Life Transplant House.

Then we had 2 hours to kill.

So we decided to get lunch.  We went with Toppers Pizza.  That took us all of 12 minutes to get and then about 15 minutes to eat.  Then we laid around the room for another hourish before catching the bus back to Mayo.  Where we met with Joan the nurse.  She went over the FMLA paperwork with Teresa, so that is finally set up right.  Then we waited and waited and waited, then finally Dr. Shaw comes in asks some questions and says everything is set for my DLI tomorrow.

9am check in and get 2 hours of water pumped into me.  So around 11 I get the DLI.  They have no clue how long that takes.  But for 2 hours after that I get more water.  Yes, they are gonna give me lasics too, which means I am gonna pee like a race horse many times.  The trip home will be fun.

Yes, I get to go home right after the procedure and watch for GvHD for the next week or two before having to be up here again.

Teresa has been super while we have been here.  I love her so much.  I want to get her something special but I just don’t know what.  I’ll have to think about it for a while.

Thanks again to everyone who made the party.  I really did enjoy myself.

Author: Jeff Campbell

I am 50 year old guy, who beat blood cancer but is getting his butt kicked by bone marrow cancer. At this point it appears I am dying. Married and in love with the most wonderful woman in the world (27 years). She has stood by me thru a lot of crap and I love her so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: