Mayo date changes, chemo day 1 and more

Mayo messaged me and then called me this morning.  Everything changed.  Nothing happening on April 10th, EVERYTHING happening on May 28th now.  It was weird.  The message said I was to get my biopsy here at Mercy Hospital, here in Des Moines.  While I was whining to Teresa about having to get that biopsy at Mercy, my phone rang.  I looked at who it was and it said “SPAM-Mayo Clinic”. I answered and it was Shiela, my friend in the scheduling department.  She said I COULD get the biopsy locally or wait till I went up to Mayo.  Well, Hell Yeah, I will wait for Mayo; Mayo’s biopsies are so much nicer.  So instead of 2 days and a lot of hassles, its all gonna happen May 28th.

First day of chemo round 5 was strange.  OK, so I was expecting to be stopped at the door and have my temperature checked.  I was expecting masks on the nurses.  I was not expecting ALL of the nurses to be wearing the white outfits and wearing face shields.  Well, some of the nurses pulled off the look well enough, others didn’t do so well.  Ah, to be young and in shape and to be able to pull off everything,  I guess they are taking Corona Virus seriously.

Anyhow, you all know my days and nights are all messed up.  So the noon appointment was right in the middle of my normal sleep time.  The nurse who set me up and started my Zofran thought I was stoned or something.  She asked me if I was ok.  I explained I was ridiculously tired.  She looked at me kind of sideways and continued to get it started.  The rest of the process went fine.  1 hour and 23 minutes later I was on my way home.

But not before I got a older gentleman sharing my room.  That wouldn’t be mentionable except that he had a tracheotomy and had to snort, gag, hock, and then spit several times during about 50 minutes of the hour and 23 minutes.  When he came into the room he said he’d have to spit, but dang, I was trying to eat lunch and his spitting sounds made me kind of nauseous.  I didn’t say anything, didn’t react, just kept my airbuds in and listened to my IPhone music a little louder.

Tomorrow should be better.  Today I was a mess.  Tomorrow I should be ok.  And tomorrow I hope to sit in the outer room and play on my computer.  Didn’t have an empty outlet today.

My friend Andi invited me into a Facebook group called F*CK Cancer.  I think it is going to be an interesting group.  Everyone in the group either has cancer or cancer has affected their lives in some way.  One of the moderators is just now facing AML, I have a lot of advice I can give him.  We shall see if I continue to enjoy it reading what is happening to others.

So, chemo tomorrow and Wednesday, then nothing til the 16th when I Dr. Wehbe again.  Chemo again in 4 weeks for 3 days.  Another visit with Dr. Wehbe and shortly thereafter I go to Mayo for the bone marrow biopsy and to see Dr. Alkhateeb (haven’t seen him since January).  I have questions that only he can answer, I better write them down as the appointment is 52 days away.

Oh yeah, Hemoglobin 12.2 and 260 platelets today.   Yeah, buddy, #s getting higher and higher.  Happy Hectic.

Author: Jeff Campbell

I am 50 year old guy, who beat blood cancer but is getting his butt kicked by bone marrow cancer. At this point it appears I am dying. Married and in love with the most wonderful woman in the world (27 years). She has stood by me thru a lot of crap and I love her so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s