Mayo and odds and ends

Our 16 hour day yesterday turned out only be a 14 hour day, thanks to them rushing the office visits at the end and getting us out early. Thank you Gabe, Laurie, and Dr. Alkhateeb, you made a sore guy happy.

Anyhow, for those who didn’t know, yesterday was a trip to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. After a 4 hour drive and a weird detour we got there with about 10 minutes to spare. It was a little weird having my temp taken and being told that my mask wasn’t good enough and being given a new paper one, heh. Oh well.

Having blood drawn is the same everywhere. This time was no different than the thousand blood draws I have had before. Only had to wait about 10 minutes before my name was called, so I call that all good.

Then it was off to the bone marrow biopsy. I got there a little early but didn’t wait long at all. The called me back, checked my weight and height and then took me back to my room. Teresa did not get allowed to come back with me, so waiting there was boring. There they took my temp again, hooked me up to the monitors, gave me an IV and ask the 100 questions about my health. Waited about 5 minutes in there and then rolled me to the procedure room. Their they knocked me out, obviously did the biopsy, and I awoke back in my room. It took me about 15 minutes to shake of the effects of the sedatives. Then I sat there for 5 more minutes. Then the nurse unconnected me from everything, and sent me on my merry way back to Teresa. The biopsy spot did not hurt then.

It was 10:30 and we were trying to decide what to do for lunch. Quiznos won. Their Baja Chicken Sub is really good. Anyhow, we got out food and then sat outside and ate. My biopsy site started to ache a bit.

We had almost 2 hours to kill before the appointments started. We went up to the transplant center, I checked in for the 3 appointments, and then plopped my butt down in a chair and watched HGTV while we waited. Biopsy site actively hurting.

They called us back a little early. We met with Gabe, our favorite pharmacist and Laurie the nurse. We went over meds with Gabe, and discussed issues I have going on (forgot one though). Spent about a half hour talking mainly with Gabe, then he left, and Laurie had a few more questions. Then she went to find Dr. Alkhateeb, Laurie came back and said 15 minutes. We asked for an icepack cuz by now my biopsy site is hurting a lot. About 20 minutes later Dr. Alkhateeb comes in.

Dr. Alkhateeb used to be a big man. Now he is a much slimmer big man. He looked good. Anyhow, we talked a bit, he’s very happy with the results of all my tests EXCEPT, he things I might have some GVHD of the liver too (to go along with the dry skin). That is a bummer, but he said its minor at worse. He shot down the STILL NOT DEAD Party for this year. And he said that when I have been on chemo for 12 months, I can ask to come off chemo and see what happens. So it may not be chemo for the rest of my life. He also said I am NOT going to 5 days of chemo, staying at 3 cuz its working. So, all in all a good visit, with some not so good news. But I am happy, he is happy, we’re all happy. The biopsy site was the most painful biopsy that I have ever had. OMG.

We got out of there by 2:30 instead of 4:30. Woot. We had the worst Hardee’s ever for dinner on the way home. But were home by 6:30, instead of 8:30. YAY. I took a pain pill to make it home cuz this biopsy hole hurt so much. But overall it was a nice uneventful drive home. It feels so good to be home too. Some more Tylenol to try to help with the pain.

That was our trip to Mayo. Now its a waiting game for the results of the biopsy, we are thinking the 3rd for general results and the 5th for the mutation results. I am not as anxious as I thought I’d be, but then again I am not really awake yet.


Came home, got on Discord, and discovered that Chris got booted from Jason’s game. Chris was a nice enough kid. But he was a bit whiny and a lot of poor me happened with him. Sorry to see him go. Really, I am. Now Jason has to figure out what he is going to do. So no game next Sunday.


I already cancelled my Tuesday game next week figuring I would be high anxiety. So, no game on next Tuesday.


There will be the continuation of Adam’s one-two shot on the Gang Gaming Server on Friday night. I am looking forward to actually getting to the quest. lol. So, there is that for Dungeons and Dragons this week,

I have 3 people now for my Thursday night Dungeons and Dragons game, Chronicles of the Lost. I need 2 more and will get them from the Greater Des Moines Dice & Dragons Meetup Group. I figure when I post the game, I will have 20 or 30 people to pick from, so finding 2 more won’t be a problem. Finding too many might be a problem.


Today I plan to play around with my new map making program and see what I can do. Its a sweet program, does overland maps, dungeons maps, and city maps. If I can figure it out, then for both of my campaigns there shall be maps.


It’s sounding more and more likely that my brother and mother will be moving to Colorado. I’ll be happy when Jim gets a job. But I don’t want them to move. Oh well, I have no say in the matter. So, I hope things work out for him


Author: Jeff Campbell

I am 50 year old guy, who beat blood cancer but is getting his butt kicked by bone marrow cancer. At this point it appears I am dying. Married and in love with the most wonderful woman in the world (27 years). She has stood by me thru a lot of crap and I love her so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: