Bone Marrow Biopsy complete

When we left for the hospital this morning it was 54 degrees. But today, August 19, 2020 turned into a beautiful day. Looks like a high of 83 today and minimal humidity. Too good to last long, supposed to be back to too hot and too muggy this weekend.


I have no clue why they had me show up at 7am for an 8:30am procedure. But I checked in at 7:04am. And we waked, and we walked and finally got to the pre-op area. The check-in nurse went over everything. They did not make me watch the video lol. But being as big deal as this bone marrow biopsy is to me, I just sat there mostly a nervous wreck. They took Teresa to the waiting room at 7:30am and came and got me for my procedure. Yay for wheelchairs. I was hurting pretty bad by that time, so she rolled back to the room I always got bone marrow biopsies done before. 2 things to note, they did not knock me completely out for the procedure and the doctor was short. Not knocking me out surprised me but didn’t bug me much. I had no pain (even my knees felt good) and only felt pressure. And boy was there a lot of pressure. My theory about tall and short bone marrow biopsy doctors stands proven once again. He struggled and pushed and jiggled and pushed for what felt like 45 minutes before he got it, mind you average time is like 15 minutes. So, anyhow the short doc had the nerve to say my hip bone was dense… 16 doctors before him have had no problem. Oh well, the doctor who never introduced himself got the job done and now I HURT. I don’t know which is hurting more actually my knee or the biopsy site. I think the biopsy site.


After I had breakfast (Wendy’s Baconator Breakfast sandwich is everything good and right). I went to bed. Weirdest sleep I have ever had. I kept waking up ever 3 to 8 minutes. And then falling right back asleep. Weird. Not very restful either, don’t slide into REM sleep waking like that. But I slept till around 3pm this way. So, I can’t say I didn’t get any sleep, just hours of weird sleep.


Tomorrow I go in to check my labs again. Went from twice a month to every week. Just in case there is a problem with my blood stats being too low. I do not expect to be too low on hemoglobin or platelets tomorrow, it’s next week when I expect the problems to start. When my numbers get low enough.


5 days I have to wait for the results, so probably Tuesday. LONG wait to find out if I am actively dying or still passively. All the signs point to the former option. I hope the signs are wrong, but we will know conclusively in 5 workdays. I hurt too much right now to be scared. I am also too tired to care. So, I am now on my way back to sleep.


Author: Jeff Campbell

I am 50 year old guy, who beat blood cancer but is getting his butt kicked by bone marrow cancer. At this point it appears I am dying. Married and in love with the most wonderful woman in the world (27 years). She has stood by me thru a lot of crap and I love her so.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: